Building the “Total Value” Proposal Budget:
A Step-By-Step Framework for Thinking Differently About What It Takes to Do the Work We Do
Original Event Date: July 18, 2018
Running Time: 102:32 minutes
Presenter: Maryn Boess, GrantsMagic U
Cost: Alliance Members $35, Non-Members $45
An A+ proposal budget provides an honest, complete, and clear picture of the total value of everything it takes to do our work successfully. It also stands as an invaluable management and evaluation tool when it comes to running the grant-funded program.
So … how do we get there from here? That’s the question we’ll explore in this down-to-earth, myth-busting session.
- You’ll understand the importance of taking a "total value” approach to budget-building, to clearly and compellingly show the value of everything it takes to do our work successfully.
- You’ll learn why the form the grantmaker gives you is (almost always) the wrong tool for planning your budget … and what you can use instead
- You’ll have the chance to whip out your calculator and try your own hand at thinking through some of the “total-value” challenges in our real-life scenario - some are pretty tricky!
- You’ll get a behind-the-scenes view of how grantmakers evaluate your proposal budget – and what your budget tells them about your organization.
- And we’ll clear away the confusion around value of volunteer time, accounting for “match,” handling administrative/indirect costs, and other perennially perplexing budget issues.
BONUS: In this session, you’ll be introduced to GrantsMagic U’s exclusive Master Budget Planning Checklist and Worksheet, a powerful planning tool to help make sure you’re crafting a budget that is comprehensive, realistic, and bullet-proof—and that will work for you, your organization, and your grantmaking partners.
About the Presenter
Maryn Boess is a veteran nonprofit professional, social entrepreneur, and leader in capacity-building and grantsmanship training.
Over her 20+-year career in the nonprofit world, Maryn has been an on-staff program developer and grantwriter; an independent grants consultant; a grants project manager; a grants trainer; a grants reviewer, author, speaker, mentor and coach; and - yes - for the past 10 years, even a grantmaker.
Maryn’s grant proposals won more than $42 million for her clients in a single ten-year period. Since 2000 she has focused on creating and delivering a portfolio of high-quality, low-cost grants information tools, resources, and workshops shared by thousands of nonprofits nationwide. For the past 10 years Maryn has also been “in the grantmaker’s chair," managing up to $2 million annually in grantmaking for K-12 education in the Southwest.
Maryn moved from Arizona to the Pacific Northwest in 2011 and travels nationally to offer her workshops on practical strategies for healthy, successful grantseeking. GrantsMagic U, launched in Fall 2015 at U.GrantsMagic.org, is the "virtual academy" she created to make her extensive portfolio of practical and inspiring trainings on successful grantsmanship available (and affordable!) for anyone, anytime, anywhere.
Want More? Click Here for the complete Alliance Webinar Archive.