What is AmeriCorps VISTA?
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program designed specifically to fight poverty. Founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 VISTA has been on the front lines in the fight against poverty in America for over 50 years. AmeriCorps VISTA members make a year-long, full time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. With passion, commitment and hard work, VISTA members bring individuals and communities out of poverty. VISTA members focus their efforts on building the organizational, administrative and financial capacity of organizations that fight poverty.
Poverty affects us all. In Arizona, 19% of people are living in poverty, including 51% of youth. In partnership with local nonprofits and public agencies, the Alliance VISTA program coordinates a network of AmeriCorps projects throughout Arizona. AmeriCorps VISTA members are grants in human capital with a focus to start, strengthen, or expand programs or services that help low-income individuals and communities move out of poverty. Members make a year-long commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency.
VISTA members can:
- Create and sustain programs that assist underrepresented groups throughout Arizona
- Expand programs to help struggling children become more engaged in school activities
- Apply for grants and seek out monetary and in-kind donations to support community programs
- Recruit and manage volunteers for community projects
- Work within diverse communities to assess needs and strengthen relationships
- And more…
Is VISTA right for my organization?
Please carefully review the following to evaluate if our program is the right fit for your organization. The basic requirements of our VISTA sites are:
- VISTA projects must be capacity building (creating infrastructure, program development, organization outreach, grant writing, volunteer recruitment and management, etc.).
- VISTA members cannot perform direct services such as tutoring, counseling, teaching, driving clients, painting, manual labor, or clerical work.
- Projects must demonstrate a direct, measurable impact on the community and fighting poverty.
- Projects must be sustainable beyond the length of the VISTA member's term.
- Qualified full-time supervisor, adequate working space and resources, appropriate work plan, and support of VISTA member in meeting project goals are required.
- Partner Share Support- $9,500 annual fee ($500 recruitment fee, and $ 9,000 once a VISTA is placed with your organization).
What are the benefits of applying through the Alliance for an VISTA project?
- Dedicated VISTA program staff who understand the VISTA program and contributing factors to successful projects.
- The Alliance is responsible to complete the required VISTA reporting and administrative paperwork. This gives your organization more time and resources to devote directly to your project, and not the program requirements of AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Recruitment and enrollment assistance of the VISTA member.
- Initial and ongoing support to the VISTA member.
- Ongoing training and professional development for VISTA member.
If you are interested in becoming a host site, or an AmeriCorps VISTA member, please contact Robin Hanson at email@example.com or 602-279-2966 x19.
- Apply to host an AmeriCorps VISTA by clicking here.
- Apply to become an AmeriCorps member by clicking here.