ALLIANCE WEBINAR - Making Friends with Funders: What Grantmakers Want Every Grantwriter to Know...Before Submitting a Proposal!
Make no mistake about it - grantseeking is a people-driven process. And key to your success is the grantmakers themselves - the people who make the decisions about awards from corporate, foundation, and government sources.
But who are these people? How do we connect with them? And what do they want from us, anyway?
Being a grantmaker isn't as easy as you might think. In this session, Maryn will pull from her own grantmaking experience (and that of dozens of other private and public program officers, reviewers and decision-makers) to give you a realistic, behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to create funder relationships that are authentic, high-integrity . . . and that work for you. We’ll pull back the curtain on the realities of life as a grantmaker – and what your proposal is really up against “on the other side.” You'll learn what grantmakers love, what makes them grumpy—and how you can be sure you're delivering what they really, really want, every time!
- Know what grantmakers really want most of all in the whole wide world – as organizations and as individuals ...
- Know what it means to “think through the grantmaker’s eyes”
- Understand the reality of challenges that program officers and review teams face in their decision-making
- Know the “Four Keys to Persuasive Proposals” – and how each connects with the reader’s own personal sense of purpose
- Through a role-play exercise, learn by first-hand experience how a proposal makes a good or bad first impression in just a few seconds – and why
- Learn about the three Powerhouse Proposal Sections that must pull their own weight - and then some! - for your proposal to work
- Understand the principle of limited mental energy and how it applies to the choices we make in crafting our proposals
- Along the way we'll bust a myth or two ... you'll meet my friend Grumpy Grantmaker ... you'll learn about the 12-12-Scenario ... you'll be introduced to The Systematic Proposal Buzz-Phrase Synthesizer ... and much, much more. Come prepared for surprises and "aha!s" - and a whole lot of powerful takeaways you can put to work in your own grantseeking ... right away.
Cost: $35 Members, $45 Non-Members
Save $10 at check out if you register for the April 17 Quick-Start Guide to the One-Page Grant Proposal webinar as well.
All paid registrants will have access to a link of the recorded webinar after it has been completed.
Brought To You By The Following Alliance Supporters:
The Presenter: Maryn Boess
Maryn Boess is a veteran nonprofit professional, social entrepreneur, and leader in capacity-building and grantsmanship training.
Over her 20+-year career in the nonprofit world, Maryn has been an on-staff program developer and grantwriter; an independent grants consultant; a grants project manager; a grants trainer; a grants reviewer, author, speaker, mentor and coach; and - yes - for the past 10 years, even a grantmaker.
Maryn’s grant proposals won more than $42 million for her clients in a single ten-year period. Since 2000 she has focused on creating and delivering a portfolio of high-quality, low-cost grants information tools, resources, and workshops shared by thousands of nonprofits nationwide. For the past 10 years Maryn has also been “in the grantmaker’s chair," managing up to $2 million annually in grantmaking for K-12 education in the Southwest.
Maryn moved from Arizona to the Pacific Northwest in 2011 and travels nationally to offer her workshops on practical strategies for healthy, successful grantseeking. GrantsMagic U, launched in Fall 2015 at U.GrantsMagic.org, is the "virtual academy" she created to make her extensive portfolio of practical and inspiring trainings on successful grantsmanship available (and affordable!) for anyone, anytime, anywhere.